Saturday, October 1, 2011

Old Friends... New Friends...

As I am coming upon 3 years in my diggs, I am realizing that the people I meet here are nothing like the people who I grew up with.  There is something about growing up in a small community (which has its advantages and disadvantages) and sharing those life milestones that shape you as an adult.  To my surprise, the relationships that I left in Wisconsin, have only grown stronger since moving.  As social networking sites have emerged, keeping in touch is now at my fingertips.  The new people I meet here have no idea who I am unless I tell them.  The people who I grew up with shared those life experiences with me and words are not needed.  This poses a challenge for me.  I long for those in my new life to know me, however, have not experienced the real shaping events that took place in my life.  I find myself feeling disconnected and sad at times because most people here just don't "get me".  Whether I tell people I lost my father at a young age or survived a horrific life threatening illness, I find that I truly miss being surrounded by those who shared those experiences.  Telling and sharing are completely different.  The reality is, I have moved and started a new life here in NYC, but old friends have not been forgotten. In fact, I now treasure those people even more.  I continue to make new friends and share adult life milestones here in my new home, but I no longer view it as a fresh start.  I am beginning to see it as a continuation of the life I am blessed with. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment